“Without looking back, I move forward.”



Jan 1, 2015

Farewell, 2014! Welcome, 2015!

So the past two years I've done this exact meme on this blog (2013, and 2012) so I figured I will do it again and keep the tradition going!


1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
I started and completed my TESL certificate, including a practicum. I had taught before but only in Cadets or in a less formal setting. It was a new experience to teach ESL in a University classroom thats for sure!

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My healthy eating got a lot better (though the holidays have kinda kicked that to the curb the last few weeks.... oops) and I have been successful in going to the gym more regularly. I didn't study as much Japanese as I would have liked, being busy with school and all, but I did study and learn some new things which is good!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not anyone close to me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully, though I had some close friends lose loved ones.

5. What Countries did you visit?
None!!! So sad!

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
I'd like to make it into the JET Program and finally make it to Japan!

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched in your memory and why?
When I started dating my BF (well, when we realized we should just go for it instead of pushing away from each other...) and finally finishing my degree and certificate, even though I haven't walked across the stage yet.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my degree and the TESL certificate for sure! It was really hard, especially at the end. I had a full course load, a practicum, an online course AND a job, but I was able to keep organized and on top of it all, and finished with my best grades so far in University. 

9. What was your biggest failure?
I want to say not getting into the JET Program, but that ended up working in my favor because I was then able to get the certificate and gain a lot of amazing experiences. So instead... I guess not sticking to my diet/workout routine as much as I'd like to. I've improved though so I don't really see it as a failure.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully nothing too major. I fell during the summer and scraped myself up pretty bad (I still have scarring on my knees and elbow) and I've had the occasional flu or cold, but thats it.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didn't buy anything special really. New 'teacher' wardrobe, a new 2015 Sailor Moon planner, some nice jewelry. 

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Can't think of anyone really.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Earlier in the year I was upset at the new Japanese Club leader's handling of International Days, but I've kinda learned to just let go of it. Its not my baby anymore, I can't stand there and breathe life into it forever.

14. Where did most of your money go?
School, paying off debt, food, clothing - the basics.

15. What did you get really, really, excited about?
My interview for the JET Program, new relationship starting, the TESL Program, finishing school. The NEW SAILOR MOON ANIME. Oh and Mayu Watanabe getting #1 at the AKB Sousenkyou.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Pretty much the top hits (the ones I liked anyway): Dark Horse (Katy Perry), Blank Space (Taylor Swift), Love Me Harder (Ariana Grande), etc.

17. Compared to this time last year are you:
a) Happier or Sadder? Much Happier
b) Thinner or Fatter? Bit thinner
c) Richer or Poorer? Same-ish?

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Go out with friends, my group of friends has gotten smaller and smaller over the year, though I do have a few core people that I spend time with. The summer was pretty lame as I mainly just worked and sat at home.

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Waste time at home. Some time at home was nice - with the BF - but I also spent a lot of time mopping about during the summer once I realized I probably wasn't going to Japan. 

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, and with the BF.

21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Maybe, I'm hesitant to say I'm in love, but I guess I am.

22. What was your favorite TV programme?
Breaking Bad was great (better than I expected) and Orange is the New Black was amazing as well. Oh and House of Cards!

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not anyone I hate; for sure people I don't see or hang out with anymore though.

24. What was the best book you read?
I didn't do as much reading as I would have liked, but I'm almost finished the Mortal Instruments Series, and my BF gifted me "Hitchhiking with Buddha" for Christmas and I am loving it.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Got more into AKB and the sister groups. I also really got into Far East Mention Mannequin which is a new Japanese group/duo. In general I really got more into dance/electronic/EDM music. 

26. What did you want and get?
The new Sailor Moon anime! Finally! My degree? Umm not much else that I can think of.

27. What did you want and not get?
Never got into the JET Program, which sucked but also turned out for the better I think.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Mockingjay Part 1, Hobbit 3, umm Guardians of the Galaxy!

29. What did you do on your Birthday? And how old were you?
I turned 23, and I didn't do much. I had to work so I didn't do much.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? 
It was pretty satisfying as it was. I guess just keeping even better on track with my eating and workouts; not being as busy with school and work would have helped too.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
This year was pretty laid back/casual. In the fall I started switching out my wardrobe for more 'teacher' appropriate clothing.

32. What kept you sane?
Personal time and my BF

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
My usual celebrity idols; Matsumoto Jun, Meg Turney, Mayuyu.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Probably the race/police issues going on in the states.

35. Who did you miss?
My mom and sister. I didn't get to visit them much this year. I missed Erika but then she came back to Kamloops in August.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Claudette, a sweet sweet woman (retired nursing teacher) from my TESL program, and the teachers I had, especially my practicum supervisor. 

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson that you learned in 2014.
Patience is important! Also that it may seem like a door has closed, but really a different door is just opening for you instead. I was really upset when I got waitlisted for JET, but in the end I think it worked out for the better.

38. Quote a song lyrics that sums up your year.
"Without looking back, I moved forward" - Ayumi Hamasaki, Merry Go Round

No comments: